Very prompt service and I received what I ordered
Art Clay Silver has been around since 1995. Since its launch, there has been a few different types of Art Clay Silver, including Art Clay Original Formula, Art Clay 650, Art Clay Slow Tarnish, and Art Clay 650 Slow Dry. When Aida created this clay formula they picked the best parts from their most popular clays - easy moulding, slow drying, and a possible low firing temperature making it suitable for combining with glass and porcelain, and allowing torch and gas hob firings. We think this might just be the ideal silver clay!
- It has a better workability and a longer working time (longer than Slow Dry!) than the current Art Clay Silver products.
- It retains and accepts moisture easier than the existing silver clay types, which means it is easier to keep supple and much easier to reconstitute if it dries.
- It has similar drying times (when applying heat).
- It carves and files easier in the dry stage than the existing formulas.
- Fire with kiln, torch, or gas stove. Using a kiln the recommended time and temperatures are 30 minutes at 650°C on a continuum to only 5 minutes at 800°C.
- Shrinkage 8-9%.
The clay can be hallmarked as fine silver at any UK Assay Office.
Don't just listen to us - here is some feedback we've had from testers:
- The clay is definitely easy to manipulate if you are designing as you go.
- I bonded to pieces together beautifully, and only needed a little sanding.
- The clay is easier to sand
- I polished with the ‘sunshine’ cloth and was really amazed at the beautiful deep shine, it took me by surprise. The pieces also felt dense, and strong.
- With its ability to blend so well when pasted, this makes putting the 3D pieces together seamless. The clay seems to take longer to dry out which gives more time for creating a piece.
- It carved well.
- The clay has a lovely soft smooth texture and works for much longer than the existing 650.
- No problems and no minor surface edge cracking!
- Collected all my sandings, drilling dust and tiny dried bits and reconstituted them. They came together really easily.
- It held its moisture much better than 650, original or slow dry.
- I think it will be much better for teaching with, due to the extra working time and as it seems less prone to minor surface cracking. Whilst I think it takes a little longer to dry I do not see that as a problem when teaching.
- I will certainly buy this clay in preference to the existing 650 or original. I love it!! :)
- A pleasant surprise. I found the clay to be slightly more yielding, moister and yet less ‘sticky’ than the original 650 formula.
- I usually prefer the working texture of 650 to that of the Slow Dry Formula, but have to say that this new formula offered the best of both worlds - staying supple for longer.
- I attempted plenty of rolling out, cutting and then ‘scrunching’ up and re-rolling and didn’t observe any cracking, drying-out or the usual deterioration in the ‘condition’ of the clay that one would expect at that stage.
- It would be very ‘user friendly’ for beginners who do struggle with working fast enough to prevent the clay drying. I would be very supportive of any new material that would give beginners confidence to continue.
- When dry, it feels nice and velvety, not chalky.
- Mistakes and cracks are very easy to repair/fill with a wet brush and it goes smooth quickly and nicely.
- It was a pleasure to work with and I much prefer it to the slow dry variety. In fact, I think I even prefer it to the 650 one which I use normally.
This is my first experience of working with silver clay and I am a complete novice but I have made a few items and been pleased with the result
have not use yet but like the fast delivery
Art clay is super to work with and produces high quality items.
Silver clay is amazing. It makes you feel like an alchemist. Turning clay into silver. Easy to work as well.
Lovely stuff, doesn't dry too quickly. Made a ring and 2 charms from it, abslotely no waste. Wish I'd bought more.
This was nice clay to work with
Hi MC, Whenever I use Silver Metal Clay I'm always happy with it. As long as I get everything I need togather, before opening the package, and I make a successful item, then everything is perfect!! :-)
Having just started using silver clay I was recommended your company. I find your prices some of the best on the internet and will certainly be using you in the future. I also purchased a starter kit of tools for silver clay and found the value of this to be very good. It contained everything I needed to begin this new hobby and with the purchase of a couple of extras I am now set to fire my clay at home for a very small outlay.
Having checked out the internet for a well priced supplier for my metal clay, I found this company. I will certainly be using you again. More than happy. I can see people making comments here about it drying too fast, didn't have that. I would say make sure of what you want to make and design it beforehand so you are not wasting time, excellent product. Or buy PMC3 which has a slower drying time. I am new to this medium but research is the key!
Attempted to make something similar to an octopus, the tentacle , i.e thinnest parts dried out almost as soon as they were shaped then broke when trying to bend them. I expected this metal clay to be able to be worked like plasticine or playdoh but it wasn't the case. ******FEEDBACK FROM METAL CLAY****** Hi Steve, metal clay is VERY different from PlayDoh and Plasticine. It is an air drying clay, whilst the others are plastic clays which don't really dry out (unless you leave them out for ages of course). There are many ways of extending the work time of your clay, making it more manageable, but it takes a little practice. Your broken piece can be repaired by making a little paste (mix some clay with a little water) so nothing is ever wasted with silver clay. I salute you for trying to shape a octopus-type-thing the first time you work with the product - I love it when people push their limits and just try stuff out. I wish we'd had a chance to talked before you started as I could have given you tonnes of advice on how to make sure your clay doesn't dry out. There are amazing intricate detailed pieces of silver clay work out there, including tentacles and octopuses, swirls, spirals and snakes - all made from silver clay. However, it is usually not the first thing you do, until you've familiarised yourself with the clay, and understand how to handle it. I hope you give it another go, and take a look at some videos, talk to some people, and read some of the info out there to help you get the best out of it. :)
I found this clay very easy to use and manipulate to shape.
The new formula is so much better than the last one. It has a longer working time and is much less sticky than the original formula. Holds details well when texturing or molding.
It's easy and it's magic. Just open the packet, roll out the clay, cut it with whatever designer cutter you want, fire it for 3 mins and you are done!! It does shrink about 10% but that's something you have to consider, because it's the binder that melts away and what is left behind is the solid silver.
Very easy to work with and gives plenty of working time. Excellent results.
I never worked with silver clay before (only with Prometheus copper clay). I love the texture, the consistency of my art clay silver. The way it is so easy and fast to fire jewelry pieces with the torch. And found it to be very strong after firing.
gorgeous clay, long working time and easy fire with a torch, holds details well when moulding too!
Have worked with clay for a few years now and found this new formula by far the best.
Not having bought silver clay for a couple of years because of disappointment with working times due to drying out I was really impressed with the new improved formula.
Much better to use - keeps moisture well so allows more working time. Seems to be less 'dusty' when sanding during dry stage and also carves nicely.
Much better than the old formula. I love it. Easy to work with, doesnt stick to your fingers, a lot stronger
This product, is sooo easy to work with. It allowed me to have more time working with the clay. It also allowed me to re-mold the little bits, and create an additional piece. Better value for money.
Seemed to work well. Didn't dry out too quickly and dried and fired well.
This new formula is such a great improvement. and makes a huge step in the right dircetion. with it's longer working time it will really makes it easier for the beginner, as well as the more advanced enthusiast, to develop their skills to a high level with more complex techniques.