The products are great. They arrived far more quickly than I had expected as I ordered just before Easter. Very happy!
Art Clay Silver has been around since 1995. Since its launch, there has been a few different types of Art Clay Silver, including Art Clay Original Formula, Art Clay 650, Art Clay Slow Tarnish, and Art Clay 650 Slow Dry. When Aida created this clay formula they picked the best parts from their most popular clays - easy moulding, slow drying, and a possible low firing temperature making it suitable for combining with glass and porcelain, and allowing torch and gas hob firings. We think this might just be the ideal silver clay!
- It has a better workability and a longer working time than all previous Art Clay Silver products.
- It retains and accepts moisture easier than previous silver clay types, which means it is easier to keep supple and much easier to reconstitute if it dries.
- It has similar drying times (when applying heat).
- It carves and files easier in the dry stage than the previous formulas.
- It can be fired with a kiln, torch, or gas stove. Using a kiln the manufacturer's recommended time and temperatures are 30 minutes at 650°C up to only 5 minutes at 800°C.
- It shrinks 8-9%.
The clay can be hallmarked as fine silver at any UK Assay Office.
Don't just listen to us - here is some feedback we've had from testers:
- The clay is definitely easy to manipulate if you are designing as you go.
- I bonded to pieces together beautifully, and only needed a little sanding.
- The clay is easier to sand
- I polished with the ‘sunshine’ cloth and was really amazed at the beautiful deep shine, it took me by surprise. The pieces also felt dense, and strong.
- With its ability to blend so well when pasted, this makes putting the 3D pieces together seamless. The clay seems to take longer to dry out which gives more time for creating a piece.
- It carved well.
- The clay has a lovely soft smooth texture and works for much longer than the existing 650.
- No problems and no minor surface edge cracking!
- Collected all my sandings, drilling dust and tiny dried bits and reconstituted them. They came together really easily.
- It held its moisture much better than 650, original or slow dry.
- I think it will be much better for teaching with, due to the extra working time and as it seems less prone to minor surface cracking. Whilst I think it takes a little longer to dry I do not see that as a problem when teaching.
- I will certainly buy this clay in preference to the existing 650 or original. I love it!! :)
- A pleasant surprise. I found the clay to be slightly more yielding, moister and yet less ‘sticky’ than the original 650 formula.
- I usually prefer the working texture of 650 to that of the Slow Dry Formula, but have to say that this new formula offered the best of both worlds - staying supple for longer.
- I attempted plenty of rolling out, cutting and then ‘scrunching’ up and re-rolling and didn’t observe any cracking, drying-out or the usual deterioration in the ‘condition’ of the clay that one would expect at that stage.
- It would be very ‘user friendly’ for beginners who do struggle with working fast enough to prevent the clay drying. I would be very supportive of any new material that would give beginners confidence to continue.
- When dry, it feels nice and velvety, not chalky.
- Mistakes and cracks are very easy to repair/fill with a wet brush and it goes smooth quickly and nicely.
- It was a pleasure to work with and I much prefer it to the slow dry variety. In fact, I think I even prefer it to the 650 one which I use normally.
Great value for money and you can make so much from this size.
Love this product. Handcraft all my pendants and charms using silver art clay. Perfect for torch firing . Service is always super and delivery prompt.
I have ordered this product numerous times from this site and am always happy with the whole process and the product. Will continue to use!
I find this clay very easy to work with not only in the wet stage but also after drying. It moulds very well producing good details and is easy to file and smooth
A lovely product for creating all your silver pieces. A great size lump which is substantial enough for most projects or several smaller projects. Fires well and is consistent in quality. Highly recommended.
I find this product really easy to work and I think the 20 g is just a great size. I also think the price is a great help to those of us who are starting to grow our craft
I love this product. It is brilliant for snake rolling / rods. You can blend joint area with ease.
Who doesn't like getting a bargain? I love working with silver clay.
An excellent product, easy to work with for a relative beginner. Nice getting the 3g extra free!
Really easy to use and simple to fire. Just wish the price would come down as would definetly use more! The additional 3 gms was very welcome.
Enjoying working with this clay and I'm finding I get a better finish too. I prefer to buy the 20gm packs as I can use it freshly opened and not risk the quality deteriorating by resealing unused clay from a larger pack. The 3gms freebie clay is most welcome too! :-)
I was pleased to get this silver clay. As the product is always fairly expensive, getting the extra for free was a super bonus.
I'm a beginner and love this clay and don't think I'll bother trying any other sort. Having the extra 3gms is a bonus too. With the usual excellent service and very good price I'll be buying lots more of this!
This new formula is great, it gives you more time to work before it gets dry. The extra 3grms are great for more detail. The service as good as always.
Delighted with this clay! The best yet! Excellent service also!
Having used the old formula, I would say that this new one is definitely better giving you much more time to work, before the clay starts to dry.
The new formula is a bit sticky when you first open it, but just as good to work with as the old formula, and much better for working with at the dry stage, especially when scribing wording or designs.
Bought as a gift for daughter who has recently discovered Art Clay Silver and considers that this allows her to express her creativity whilst producing lovely items to treasure.