I find this very easy to work with, fired either by torch or kiln it produces a good end product. The 50gm pack is good value for money.
Art Clay Silver has been around since 1995. Since its launch, there has been a few different types of Art Clay Silver, including Art Clay Original Formula, Art Clay 650, Art Clay Slow Tarnish, and Art Clay 650 Slow Dry.
This clay combines the best features from them all!
When Aida created this clay formula they picked the best parts from their most popular clays - easy moulding, slow drying, and a possible low firing temperature making it suitable for combining with glass and porcelain, and allowing torch and gas hob firings. We think this might just be the ideal silver clay!
- It has a better workability and a longer working time than previous Art Clay Silver products.
- It retains and accepts moisture easier than the previous silver clay types, which means it is easier to keep supple and much easier to reconstitute if it dries.
- It has similar drying times (when applying heat).
- It carves and files easier in the dry stage than the previous formulas.
- Fire with kiln, torch, or gas stove. Using a kiln the recommended time and temperatures are 30 minutes at 650°C, up to only 5 minutes at 800°C.
- Shrinkage 8-9%.
- The clay can be hallmarked as fine silver at any UK Assay Office.
The 50gm package contains 2 individually wrapped 25gm blocks of clay.
Don't just listen to us - here is some feedback we've had from testers:
- The clay is definitely easy to manipulate if you are designing as you go.
- I bonded to pieces together beautifully, and only needed a little sanding.
- The clay is easier to sand
- I polished with the ‘sunshine’ cloth and was really amazed at the beautiful deep shine, it took me by surprise. The pieces also felt dense, and strong.
- With its ability to blend so well when pasted, this makes putting the 3D pieces together seamless. The clay seems to take longer to dry out which gives more time for creating a piece.
- It carved well.
- The clay has a lovely soft smooth texture and works for much longer than the existing 650.
- No problems and no minor surface edge cracking!
- Collected all my sandings, drilling dust and tiny dried bits and reconstituted them. They came together really easily.
- It held its moisture much better than 650, original or slow dry.
- I think it will be much better for teaching with, due to the extra working time and as it seems less prone to minor surface cracking. Whilst I think it takes a little longer to dry I do not see that as a problem when teaching.
- I will certainly buy this clay in preference to the existing 650 or original. I love it!! :)
- A pleasant surprise. I found the clay to be slightly more yielding, moister and yet less ‘sticky’ than the original 650 formula.
- I usually prefer the working texture of 650 to that of the Slow Dry Formula, but have to say that this new formula offered the best of both worlds - staying supple for longer.
- I attempted plenty of rolling out, cutting and then ‘scrunching’ up and re-rolling and didn’t observe any cracking, drying-out or the usual deterioration in the ‘condition’ of the clay that one would expect at that stage.
- It would be very ‘user friendly’ for beginners who do struggle with working fast enough to prevent the clay drying. I would be very supportive of any new material that would give beginners confidence to continue.
- When dry, it feels nice and velvety, not chalky.
- Mistakes and cracks are very easy to repair/fill with a wet brush and it goes smooth quickly and nicely.
- It was a pleasure to work with and I much prefer it to the slow dry variety. In fact, I think I even prefer it to the 650 one which I use normally
Easy to use product, you can make just about any shape out of it, it fires beautifully too.
I adore this product. It's a joy to work with, it's so supple because it rertains moisture better than similar products. I have made so many lovely pieces using art clay, beads, charms and pendants. Super product and great value from Metal Clay
I use this product time and again. Often on its own, but also sometimes in conjunction with traditional silver smith methods to create organic shapes - or even to use as a 'glue' to avoid soldering complicated joins. Love that it can be watered down to a paste too.
This is such a versatile clay that produces beautiful jewellery. Always easy to work with and fires brilliantly.
I love this product - so easy to use and I can create all kinds of things from beads to pendants to rings. And always great prices at Metal Clay - love it!
So easy to use & work with. Very easy to hob fire & not get any strange markings if you don't have a kiln. You can also add a tiny bit of olive oil to make a really flexible clay. My absolute go to metal clay!
Love this clay and this is the most cost effective way to buy it. I have tried other brands but always come back to ACSilver
Very superior clay. Very convenient package with 2 x 25grams sachets. It doesn't dry out as quick as others.
This formula is the best ever, so easy to use and you get plenty of time to create designs without it drying out and cracking and the extra 5g is a bonus!
Working with metal clay has been my passion for many years now. This improved formula really makes a difference, with longer working time than the original, it makes teaching beginners so much easier.
Very pleased with my pack, it came with a bit extra free which makes it even more economical...
I find this works out more economical than buying smaller packs - the product is SO worth it! I keep the space in the fridge with damp tissue and well wrapped, it lasts ages.
Very user friendly clay. It holds moisture well, no cracking or drying out. It felt nicer in your hands and didn't stick.
I'm loving the new formula. It's consistency feels great. So smooth and less sticky, keeps it's moisture well and picks up texture details superbly. Best of all, I can scrape off ALL the residue off of the fiddly cellophane wrap in one go! Not missing the old formula at all.