This is a fab place to start with metal clay. I found the instruction booklet invaluable! Really recommend this if your starting out with metal clay.
This well-thought-through Art Clay Silver Basic Kit comes with everything a beginner would need to get started with Art Clay. Choose if you want the kit with or without clay, and also what amount of clay you want - and you'll get 10% off the clay you buy with this kit! The kit can now be purchased with some additional extras, each at a reduced rate - receive 10% of each of the items you add to your kit (compared to if you bought them separately).
Each basic kit contains the following in a strong resealable clear plastic bag:
- Roller - for rolling out clay
- Acrylic spacers 1.5mm thick - to help make the clay an even thickness
- Oyumaru (resin mould) - for making moulds
- Sponge sanding pad set - to shape and smooth your clay before firing, and to mirror polish your silver after firing (use red, blue and green in this order)
- Brass Brush - for brushing your piece after firing, leaves a satin finish (Exclusive to Metal Clay Ltd's version of the kit! Type of brass brush may vary from kit to kit)
- Silver polishing cream - for polishing a piece to a mirror finish
- Town Talk Polishing cloth - for polishing a piece to a mirror finish
- Liver of Sulphur - to give a black patina, antiquing solution
- Round jump ring - to hang on a chain
- Instruction booklet - very, very detailed with superb pictures and instructions
Buy the kit as it is if you already have some clay, or choose to add 7gm, 10gm, 20gm, or 50gm of Art Clay Silver New Formula. As a rough guide - 7gm of clay should make two basic rings.
You can also choose to add any of the additional extra tools you may require as a beginner. Take advantage of the 10% discount you'll get if you add them now!:
- Ceramic Firing Brick
- Economy Gas Torch or Deluxe Gas Torch - see a video below on how to fire with a torch
- Small Mesh or Mesh With Cover - to be used on a gas hob or a camping stove
- Spacer Set - for ensuring your clay can be rolled out to various widths
- Super Smooth Non-Stick Teflon Sheets or an Art Clay Work Sheet - to use as a non stick work surface
- Art Clay Silver Ring Kit
What should I add to this kit if I plan on firing on a gas hob or camping stove? The only extra you need is a gas hob firing mesh. You can choose the small mesh or a slightly larger one with a protective cover. Read more about firing on the gas hob here.
What should I add to this kit if I plan on firing with a torch? You'll want to add the torch itself (either the economy or deluxe) and a Ceramic Firing Brick. Read more about firing with a torch here.
I was really pleased with the kit,great for beginners like me.
Great beginner kit, but I think it should be slightly larger. Overall a fun and easily made item. I do find Metal Clay Ltd on the whole a great value, very fast and helpful.
I thought the tiny scraps of sanding pads and doll sized polishing cloth were very disappointing. The moulding material must have been the smallest amount that could be cut. Hardly a value for money product. **RESPONSE FROM METAL CLAY** Hi Sunflow, We’re sorry to hear you’re disappointed with this product. The Basic Kit was designed for beginners using smaller amounts of clay (7g-10g). Please keep in mind that the sanding pads can be washed and re-used several times. We usually cut our sanding pads to that size here in the office as we find them easier to handle when working with smaller pieces. The Oyumaru moulding compound should be large enough to use with 7 – 10g of clay and is also re-usable. If you contact us directly at email@example.com , we’d be happy to discuss what we can do to make you feel happier.
This kit provides the basics for a person new to silver clay, especially with the option to add on a torch, fibre block, clay and other items. The instructions were excellent. Metal Clay processed my order very quickly.
Good value starter kit.
Good kit for my first experiment with this medium
I have been thrilled with this basic kit as a starting point for my new hobby.
Having never attempted using any type of silver clay before, I thought that this was a good value kit to buy (after looking around at other kits). I added mesh, teflon non stick sheets and clay 10g to the kit, this was all I needed. The only thing I felt should be included this kit was some cutting/sculpting tools; just simple plastic ones, but if you are good at improvising then you should not have a problem finding other things to use :) I very much enjoyed making my first silver piece (I did not make the heart pendant) it was far easier than I expected, I managed to simplify the process even more than i thought possible. I dried my piece in the oven for 20 mins, I used lemon juice in water instead of baking soda, and I used my hob with a small piece of mesh, all because I did not have the recommended things. I am so happy with the result, I would recommend this kit to anyone wanting to start using silver clay.
A brilliant introduction to the world of silver clay. I bought 10g of silver clay and made a beautiful heart pendant and a smaller charm. You do need to get the mesh as well to fire on the stove.