Just taken my first test strips of metal clay out - fired at exact minimum temperature and time - the result is good. Love the wide door - as someone on Facebook pointed out, this seems loose to allow for expansion - looks good too. Was worried about the prospect of programming it, but it's more straightforward than I imagined. Really pleased with my purchase
Introducing the sleek SC2 Professional Kiln from Paragon!
This Professional silver and glass kiln has the same ceramic fibre firing chamber as the trusty old SC-2. But, in addition, the sleek and elegant SC-2 Professional features a brushed stainless steel door with an easy-to-open 9” long wooden handle. The door opens and closes gently with an adjustable, spring-loaded catch on the bottom. The large door opens 180 degrees to give you full access to the interior. The control panel is sloped so you can see the screen easier, which makes life easier when it comes to entering and choosing your program. The SC-2 Pro also has an easy-access back panel for quick maintenance.
And - another big difference, the SC-2 Professional elements are powered by a quiet, solid state relay. No clicks! And an even steadier temperature. For your security, the solid state relay is backed by a mechanical safety relay that turns off the heating elements should the solid state relay ever fail.
The high-tech ceramic fibre firing chamber is wrapped in a steel inner case. The outer steel case remains cool due to the air gap under it. In addition, the case is slotted for air circulation. Electrical components, located in the base, stay cool even at extended hold times.
The SC-2 Pro can hold three shelves filled with metalclay, yet is portable enough to take with you to classes. Program the firing schedule that is perfect for your projects. The kiln turns itself off after the firing is completed. The SC-2 Pro is great in classrooms because the elements are safely embedded in the ceramic fibre.
The SC-2 Professional has separate heating elements in the left and right sides of the firing chamber. The back of the chamber has no element, so the heat distribution in the SC-2 Pro is even throughout the firing chamber, because heat does not build up in the back.
It fires automatically at the rate and temperature you enter. A large, brightly lit display prompts for firing rate, temperature, and hold time. Use the hold feature to automatically soak any type of clay silver to its recommended time. Each SC-2 Pro includes a .6cm thick ceramic fibre shelf.
Includes a Ceramic Kiln Shelf Kit:
This solid ceramic shelf can withstand temperatures up to 1222°C. Create multi-layered kiln shelves for firing numerous items inside the kiln by stacking kiln posts and shelves. Perfect size for the Paragon SC2, Paragon SC2 Pro and the Lilly Kiln.
Shelf Dimensions: 17.8cm x 17.8cm x 1.5cm (7" x 7")
3 x 1/2" kiln posts also included. We recommend you use three kiln posts instead of four to support shelves. Four posts can cause the shelves to wobble unless the bottom of the kiln is completely even, the kiln shelf is completely flat, and the posts are exactly the same height - three things which you'll rarely find all together!
Position the kiln posts close to the kiln walls and away from the centre of the kiln.
Please note: Ceramic kiln posts are fragile, and they don't always look perfect. We make every effort to pack them well, but accidents (and brutal delivery services) can happen and one might break in shipping. If this happens, just email us a photo and we will credit you the cost of the post. We won't ship a replacement as this isn't viable with postage and packing costs. Small chips which are cosmetic only and doesn't affect the functionality will not be credited.
The SC-2 Professional is made in Mesquite, Texas, America to exacting standards by Paragon - a trusted high-quality kiln brand. Paragon was founded in 1948, and they have in that time shipped over 380,000 kilns!
SC-2 Professional Features:
- On/off switch
- Solid state relay
- Mechanical safety relay
- Door opens 180 degrees for easy loading
- Slotted case for air circulation.
- Electrical components in the base stay cool even at extended hold times.
- The embedded side elements for improved heat distribution
- Top vent complete with tapered plug for lost wax casting
- Includes a 1/4” thick ceramic fiber shelf
- Power cord located out of the way at the back of the SC-2 Pro cabinet.
- Optional SC-2 Pro glass view port
- Optional 6 1/2” wide bead door with mandrel holder
- Printed 28-page kiln instruction manual
- Printed 16-page Sentry Xpress temperature controller manual
The reliable Sentry Xpress 3-key controller is packed with features. It includes two modes: Single Speed and 8-segment Ramp-Hold.
Features of the Sentry Xpress 3-key Controller:
- Design programs with up to 8 segments (steps) in Ramp-Hold mode.
- Fire to a single temperature at a single speed in the quick and simple Single Speed mode.
- Ramp-Hold mode can store 4 programs.
- Skip a segment in Ramp-Hold during firing without having to stop the kiln to reprogram.
- Change the target temperature in Ramp-Hold during firing without having to stop the kiln to reprogram.
- Add Hold Time during firing without having to stop the kiln to reprogram.
- Hold (soak) the temperature in both Single Speed and Ramp-Hold.
- Control both heating and cooling in Ramp-Hold.
- Program Review lets you check the program before a firing.
- Program the Temperature Alarm to sound when the kiln reaches a specific temperature. Use this to remind yourself to check on the kiln.
- Temperature display throughout firing and cooling in your choice of °F or °C
- Thermocouple Offset adjusts the thermocouple readout.
- Set the Delay to turn on the kiln later to suit your schedule.
- Error Messages report mechanical problems.
- 12 Month Warranty
- LED Lights show whether you are in program, review, or firing mode.
- Colorful, illustrated instruction manual (separate from the kiln manual). Download it from the “Additional Information” section below to review these features in more detail.
- Handy Quick Start Guide
Max. temperature: 1093C (2000F)