The Paragon SC-2 in eye-catching Turquoise with Bead Door. Also includes a soft ceramic fibre shelf.
This kiln has been in production since 1997 and it's proven design is used and trusted by thousands of artists around the world!
The high-tech ceramic fibre firing chamber is wrapped in a steel inner case. The outer steel case remains cool due to the layer of air between it and the inner case. In addition, the case is slotted for air circulation. Electrical components, located in the base, stay cool even at extended hold times.
The SC-2 can hold three shelves of silver clay yet is portable enough to take with you to classes. Program the firing schedule that is perfect for you - there are no permanent pre-set programs. The programmer turns itself off after the firing is completed. The SC-2 is great in classrooms because the elements are embedded in ceramic fibre.
This newest SC-2 has two separate heating elements in the left and right sides of the firing chamber. The back of the chamber has no element. Extensive testing shows that the heat distribution in the current SC-2 is more even throughout the firing chamber, because heat does not build up in the back of the kiln.
The SC-2 is proudly made in the U.S.A. to exacting standards. It fires automatically at the rate and temperature you enter. A large, brightly lit display prompts for firing rate, temperature, and hold time. Use the hold feature to automatically soak any type of clay silver to its recommended time.
The fast-firing element is embedded in the firing chamber shell.
Each SC-2 includes a .6cm (1/4") thick ceramic fibre shelf and 3 x 1.6cm round posts.
** OPTION ABOVE TO ADD ON A HARD CERAMIC SHELF KIT
This solid ceramic shelf can withstand temperatures up to 1222°C. Create multi-layered kiln shelves for firing numerous items inside the kiln by stacking kiln posts and shelves. Perfect size for the Paragon SC2, Paragon SC2 Pro and the Lilly Kiln.
Shelf Dimensions: 17.8cm x 17.8cm x 1.5cm (7" x 7")
3 x 1" kiln posts also included. We recommend you use three kiln posts instead of four to support shelves. Four posts can cause the shelves to wobble unless the bottom of the kiln is completely even, the kiln shelf is completely flat, and the posts are exactly the same height - three things which you'll rarely find all together!
Position the kiln posts close to the kiln walls and away from the centre of the kiln.
Please note: Ceramic kiln posts are fragile, and they don't always look perfect. We make every effort to pack them well, but accidents (and brutal delivery services) can happen and one might break in shipping. If this happens, just email us a photo and we will credit you the cost of the post. We won't ship a replacement as this isn't viable with postage and packing costs. Small chips which are cosmetic only and doesn't affect the functionality will not be credited.
The Convenience of the Bead Door:
Anneal glass beads with the 6 1/2” wide bead door, which includes a brushed stainless steel mandrel holder. Insert the mandrel into the kiln. The bead door stays partially open while the glass anneals. This kiln includes a rare earth magnet to hold open the bead door.
SC-2 w/ Bead Door Features:
- 16.5cm (6 1/2") wide bead door with brushed stainless steel mandrel holder
- Improved heat distribution
- On/off toggle switch
- Door opens 180 degrees for easy loading
- The case is slotted for air circulation.
- Electrical components in the base stay cool even at extended hold times.
- The embedded element heats from the two sides for improved heat distribution.
- Top vent complete with tapered plug for lost wax casting
- Includes a .6cm (1/4”) thick ceramic fibre shelf
- Colorful 28-page kiln instruction manual (In addition, the kiln also comes with a separate controller manual.)
The reliable Sentry Xpress 3-key controller is packed with features. It includes two modes: Single Speed and 8-segment Ramp-Hold.
Features of the Sentry Xpress 3-key Controller on Non-Ceramic Paragon Kilns:
- Design programs with up to 8 segments (steps) in Ramp-Hold mode.
- Fire to a single temperature at a single speed in the simplified Single Speed mode.
- Ramp-Hold mode can store 4 programs.
- Skip a segment in Ramp-Hold during firing without having to stop the kiln to reprogram.
- Change the target temperature in Ramp-Hold during firing without having to stop the kiln to reprogram.
- Hold (soak) the temperature in both Single Speed and Ramp-Hold. Experiment with Hold to improve color saturation of china paints.
- Add Hold Time during firing without having to stop the kiln to reprogram.
- Control both heating and cooling in Ramp-Hold.
- Program Review lets you check the program you are about to fire.
- Program the Temperature Alarm to sound when the kiln reaches a specific temperature. Use this to remind yourself to check on the kiln.
- Temperature display throughout firing and cooling in your choice of °F or °C
- Thermocouple Offset adjusts the thermocouple readout.
- Set the Delay to turn on the kiln later to suit your schedule.
- Error Messages report mechanical problems such as a disconnected thermocouple, stuck relay or broken element.
- 12 Month Warranty
- LED Lights show whether you are in program, review, or firing mode.
- Colorful, illustrated instruction manual (separate from the kiln manual). Download it from the “Additional Information” section below to review these features in more detail.
- Handy Quick Start Guide
Max. Temperature: 1093C (2000F)