Prometheus Bronze Clay is a claylike material which turns into pure, solid bronze when fired in a kiln. It is a mixture of micron sized bronze powder, water and organic binder. It can be formed by hand, rolled into a sheet or a rope. It can be moulded, textured, even turned on a potter's wheel. Prometheus® Bronze Clay can be fired with most lab-created gemstones (cubic zirconias), pre-tested natural stones, glass beads, ceramic and porcelain.
When the clay is fired in a kiln, the organic binder evaporates and burns away and you’re left with pure, solid bronze. Brush it, if needed pickle it to remove any firescale and finally polish.
You can create unique jewellery, ornaments, hollow ware, statutes, sculptures and many other decorative objects. Any thing you create with Prometheus Bronze Clay is a piece of art. Combine it with your imagination and let your fingers do the rest!
Prometheus Bronze clay can be fired on a single stage, or two-stage firing.
- Preheat your kiln to 820ºC
- Place your dried bronze piece onto stainless steel mesh, and into the kiln
- Wait for the kiln to heat back up to temperature, and fire for 30 minutes
- After 30 minutes, remove the piece and leave to cool on a heatproof surface, or quench in water (unless fireable gemstones have been used).
TWO STAGE (recommended):
- Place your dried piece(s) onto stainless steel mesh, and into a cold kiln
- Wait for the kiln to heat up to 500°C/ 932°F and fire for 15 minutes
- Once finished, remove the piece and leave to cool on a heatproof surface
- Preheat your kiln to 820º/1500°F
- Pour 3cm of activated carbon into a steel container, and place pieces at least 1.5cm apart.
- Thoroughly cover with activated carbon, and place steel container inside the kiln
- Wait for the kiln to heat back up to temperature, and fire for 60 minutes
- After 60 minutes, remove the piece and leave to cool on a heatproof surface
Syringe contains 10g
Did you know we stock embeddable bronze findings? 'Embeddable' means you can add them to your clay in the wet stage and fire all at once.
Click here to see our full range of embeddable findings.