LIMITED STOCK REMAINING! FANTASTIC 40% OFF SALE!
Prometheus Copper Clay is a clay-like material which turns into pure, solid copper when fired in the kiln. It is a mixture of micron sized copper powder, water, and organic binder. It can be formed by hand, rolled into a sheet or a rope. It can be moulded, textured, even turned on a potter's wheel. Prometheus® Copper Clay can be fired with most lab-created gemstones (cubic zirconias), pre-tested natural stones, glass beads, ceramic porcelain and Prometheus® Copper Clay . It is also suitable for enamelling.
When PCC is fired in a kiln, the organic binder evaporates, burns away and you’re left with pure, solid copper. Brush it, if needed pickle it, to remove any fire scale, and finally polish.
Create unique jewellery, ornaments, hollow ware, statutes and many other decorative objects. Any thing you create with PCC is a piece of art. Combine it with your imagination, and let your fingers do the rest!
Prometheus Copper clay can be fired on a single stage, or two-stage firing:
- Preheat your kiln to 920ºC
- Place your dried bronze piece onto stainless steel mesh, and into the kiln
- Wait for the kiln to heat back up to temperature, and fire for 30 minutes
- After 30 minutes, remove the piece and leave to cool on a heatproof surface, or quench in water (unless fireable gemstones have been used). Leave in pickling solution if any fire scale is left.
TWO STAGE (recommended):
- Place your dried piece(s) onto stainless steel mesh, and into a cold kiln
- Wait for the kiln to heat up to 500°C/ 932°F and fire for 15 minutes
- Once finished, remove the piece and leave to cool on a heatproof surface
- Preheat your kiln to 850º/1570°F
- Pour 3cm of activated carbon into a steel container, and place pieces at least 1.5cm apart.
- Thoroughly cover with activated carbon, and place steel container inside the kiln
- Wait for the kiln to heat back up to temperature, and fire for 90 minutes
- After 90 minutes, remove the piece and leave to cool on a heatproof surface
Alternatively, fire at 800ºC for 2 hours when Prometheus Copper is combined with Prometheus Bronze clay.
* Available in 50g, 100g, 200g and also in 10g syringe here. *
Did you know we stock embeddable copper findings? 'Embeddable' means you can add them to your clay in the wet stage and fire all at once.
Click here to see our full range of embeddable findings.