These micro-sized great carving tools were designed for wood carving but they are fantastic for carving into leather-hard metal clay, baked polymer clay, erasers and linoleum. Carving tools create deep, bold textures on clay, making them great for enamelling, patina, and other colour finishes to your jewellery. All carving tool handles are made from cherry wood, shaped in an ergonomic hexagon shape for a firm grip.
This is a a great set, put together especially for metal clay users. It includes all of the shapes you could ever need:
- U-Gouge Tool - 2mm
- U-Gouge Tool - 1.5mm
- Skew Tool - 1.5mm
- V-shaped Tool - 75° (approx. 2mm)
- V-shaped Tool - 1.5mm 90°
- 5 Pocket Tool Holder
It can be hard to know which tool you need when you start out. Here is a list of what the different Dockyard tool shapes in this kit are used for:
- U-gouge (Sometimes called gouge tool) carves a rounded U-shaped cut.
- Skew tool (Sometimes called skew chisel or angled chisel) is an angled double-bevel chisel. Used with a very light touch, it's great for cleaning up tiny bits of oozed-out slip or light imperfections.
- V-shaped tool (Sometimes called V-gouge, V-parting, or V tool) carves a V-shaped cut. The 90 degree angle is shaped like a L, whilst the 75 degree angle is tighter angle so it looks more like a narrow V.
Dockyard Carving tools aren't just ideal for carving metal clay and cure polymer clay. They can also be used to make your own personalised texture sheets, by carving into sheets made out of cured polymer clay, linoleum, or rubber.
SAFETY NOTE: Always carve away from your hands, and keep away from children - these tools are extremely sharp!!
HOW TO USE:
- To get used to how these tools work, we suggest you start carving on scrap material.
- Don't try to carve too deep, it's better to do several shallow cuts. Carving too deep can cause your tool to get stuck or damage the tip.
- These are precision hand tools. Don't pry or twist into the material you're carving. Don't use them with a hammer, or excessive force.
Size of tools: Approx 13.5cm x 1cm
Size of case: Approx. 28cm x 17cm