Goldie Copper - New Formula
**Requires Kiln Firing
Unlike our other metal clays, all Goldie Clays come in powder form, which is then mixed with water.
Available in size: 50g, 100g, or 200g
Goldie Copper™ is a very pure copper clay. The powder contains 99,9% of pure dendrite copper. After firing and removing the patina created in the firing process the metal is very light and has a beautiful colour.
Goldie Copper™ is an environmentally friendly product. The binders are organic and non toxic.
What are the benefits of the 'New Formula?'
- shorter firing time
- smoother consistency
- no warping or distorting during fast drying
To mix, follow these steps:
● Put the all amount of powder into a jar or bowl.
● Add about a dozen drops of water or spray in a little water and mix well with a knife or spoon, adding more water as required, until you get a clay of a plasticine like consistency.
● Roll the lump clay out thinly and fold over. Roll again, rolling away from the fold. Repeat this action several times. This is very important to ensure that all the air is removed from the clay and to get a smooth consistency before using. Insert into a plastic bag or container and wait for 30 minutes.
● To join elements in Goldie Copper™ clay mix a little powder with water to make a paste.Elements can also be joined with the water only method in the same way as silver clay.
● Pieces can be dried naturally or by using heat, e.g. on a hotplate or in a dehydrator. Dry at 90°C (195°F) or lower. Higher temperatures may cause cracking, and if steam appears it might create bubbles in the material.
● Remember to always clean your tools well between using different types of metal clay to avoid cross contamination. The above tip does not apply to Goldie Metal™ line products, because they can be mixed with Mokume Gane or other techniques.
● Ensure the clay is completely dry before firing. Any moisture will boil and ruin the piece.
● Lay the pieces in a stainless steel firing container on a layer of activated coconut shell carbon with a minimum depth 1cm (1/2”) under the pieces. Make sure the pieces are at least 1cm (1/2”) apart. Place the open container into a cold kiln and fire at full ramp to 580°C (1080°F) and hold for 30 minutes.
● Carefully remove the container from the kiln and place on a heatproof surface. Fill the container with a layer of activated coconut shell carbon with a minimum depth 1cm (1/2”) over the pieces, and place back into the kiln.
● Full ramp to 960°C (1740°F) and hold for 1h 50min ( old formula 2 hours).
● Fired pieces can be removed from the kiln hot or cold.
Goldie Copper™ shrinks by about 14-20% (old formula 12%-18%) on firing, depending on the shape and the size of the piece. Dried clay can be ground up to a powder and reconstituted.
* These clays take texture very well but we suggest using quite a deep texture as these show up better than shallow textures.
* Shake the bag well before opening to ensure an even mix of metal powder and binder.
* Always wear a respirator mask to prevent breathing or ingesting Goldie Clay powder*
Click here to see our full range of embeddable findings.