Could Art Clay Silver 999 be the ideal silver clay? You can fire it easily with a torch, or even on a gas hob.
It is pliable and creamy, with a long working time. It takes all textures beautifully, and carves like a dream. And it shrinks only about 8-9%.
Art Clay has been around since 1995. Since its launch, there has been a few different types of Art Clay Silver, including Art Clay Original Formula, Art Clay 650, Art Clay Slow Tarnish, and Art Clay 650 Slow Dry. When Aida created this clay formula they picked the best parts from their most popular clays - easy moulding, slow drying, and a possible low firing temperature making it suitable for combining with glass and porcelain, and allowing torch and gas hob firings. We think this might just be the ideal silver clay!
- It is so pliable and has a great workability. It is a lot creamier and pliable than any other previous Art Clay silver clay!
- It retains and accepts moisture very well, which means it is easier to keep supple and so easy to reconstitute if it dries.
- It carves and files beautifully in the dry stage - much beter than the existing formulas.
- Fire with kiln, torch, or gas stove. Using a kiln the minimum recommended firing would be 30 minutes at 650°C or 5 minutes at 800°C. Where possible, we recommend firing at 800°C for 30 minutes for the strongest result.
- Shrinkage 8-9%.
The clay can be hallmarked as fine silver at any UK Assay Office.
Don't just listen to us singing its praises - here is some feedback we've had from testers:
- It is very ‘user friendly’ for beginners who do struggle with working fast enough to prevent the clay drying.
- I attempted plenty of rolling out, cutting and then scrunching up and re-rolling and didn't observe any cracking, drying-out or the usual deterioration in the condition of the clay that one would expect at that stage/
- I bonded to pieces together beautifully, and only needed a little sanding.
- I polished with the ‘sunshine’ cloth and was really amazed at the beautiful deep shine, it took me by surprise. The pieces also felt dense, and strong.
- With its ability to blend so well when pasted, this makes putting the 3D pieces together seamless. The clay seems to take longer to dry out which gives more time for creating a piece.
- It carved well.
- The clay has a lovely soft smooth texture and works for much longer than the existing 650.
- No problems and no minor surface edge cracking!
- Collected all my sandings, drilling dust and tiny dried bits and reconstituted them. They came together really easily.
- I think it will be much better for teaching with, due to the extra working time and as it seems less prone to minor surface cracking. Whilst I think it takes a little longer to dry I do not see that as a problem when teaching.
- I will certainly buy this clay in preference to the existing 650 or original. I love it!! :)
- A pleasant surprise. I found the clay to be slightly more yielding, moister and yet less ‘sticky’ than the original 650 formula.
- Mistakes and cracks are very easy to repair/fill with a wet brush and it goes smooth quickly and nicely.
- It was a pleasure to work with and I much prefer it to the slow dry variety. In fact, I think I even prefer it to the 650 one which I use normally.
I absolutely love this product there is no end as to what you can make with this and its so easy to use too.
good quality product
Order arrived well on time Instructions suggested applying 3 layers but generic instructions from internet suggested at least 5. Did 5 layers to be safe and had very good result., but probably could have got away with 3. I will be ordering more as the technique can result in some unusual pieces,
I am quite new to silver clay but am finding it easy to use after a bit of practice & very versatile.
easy to use and texture. Excellent product.
love this stuff its perfect. Always super quick delivery too from art clay silver. Thank you ❤️
Very prompt service and I received what I ordered
This is my first experience of working with silver clay and I am a complete novice but I have made a few items and been pleased with the result